Monday, August 14, 2006

Normal-C! Review and Very Random Ramblings

I was finally able to get the final showing of Normal-C on Sunday night. This is the show that DJ was doing slideshow stuff for and I had a free pass. I really had been wanting to go, but the late showings were too late for my in bed by 11pm ass, so the Sunday showing at 4pm was perfect.

I really liked the show. It was entertaining and it also made one think a bit. Overall a great show.

Some words on Courtney. It amazed me how much of herself she put into this. She really puts it all out there and I have an immense amount of respect for it. I met her for a total of 5 minutes prior to the show. I could immediately tell she was an open person. She really put it all out there for the show. I envy people like that, since I am not at all like that. I guess it must be the Midwestern rearing, but I am a tough nut to crack :).

She did a segment on the Female Midlife Crisis...This which occurred for her in her mid-twenties. I also found that I had a similar situation. Not necessarily a mid-life crisis of sorts, but some sort of restlessness. Society sends us strong signals to do things in an "acceptable" order. Go to college, find a nice job, find a nice mate, produce offspring, move to the suburbs and live "happily ever after". Excuse the tangent here, but I don't think that's for everyone and at this moment in my life I know it isn't for me. Hell, my twenties were a time of self-doubt and reflection. Who was I? What do I want? I was also a lot more insecure at that time. Not that it all was bad, I partied a lot and had a lot of fun during those times as well.

Now that I am in my thirties I feel a lot more settled, but I still don't feel that need to continue down the 2.5 kids and dog route. I still feel like there is so many things I want to do that are in store for me. I haven't found the job that is for me. I understand that most folks don't love their jobs, but why give up that search? I am not ready to settle into corporate America for the rest of my working days. I want to travel, I want to figure out what I am meant to do for a living and I want to experience new things. There is way to many things I haven't done yet. The older I get the more I think that kids may not be in my cards. I want to experience my partner and share things before you have to deal with the stress of bringing up a responsible human being.

Wow, what a tangent....Excuse the roundabout random ramblings...But hey....

Life IS about the journey, n'est pas?

3 comments:

Brighter Schemata said...

As someone who's done the whole marriage, kid, even settling for somewhat of a "career path" thing, I say, TRAVEL NOW and get it out of your system. You might change your mind about kids but once you have them if you ever do, you won't be able to just pack up and leave on a whim anymore. And also, pets are surprisingly a lot like kids. You can mother them, adore them and be proud of their little antics. And you don't have to worry about quality childcare for them, you can just lock them in your house with a good supply of food.

And I'm completely with you on the whole moving to the suburbs is evil thing. Why do some people change so completely when they get married and/or have kids? They suddenly feel the need to change "I" to "We" in every sentence, to trade the sportscar for the minivan or SUV, and to attempt to foist their assimilation onto you, their unsuspecting friend? I often prefer the company of my childless single friends, because they are always up to something interesting, and really, you can only talk about things like your kids' poop for just so long! :)

MplsMel said...

Thanks for the advice. I really do need to get the travel thing out of my system. On the pet thing, I do think Dogs are a lot more like kids then cats, since you can't leave dogs with a ton of food. Not to say I don't love dogs (heck I may substitute them for kids), but cats are nice for that freedom.

I couldn't agree with you more on changes after kids. I am still learning on how to deal with that, since some of my friends are now married and reproducing. It's interesting to watch how differently some handle it than others. I really respect people with small children who really try to keep their lives balanced. I can imagine it's really difficult.

Courts! said...

Hey Mel!! Thanks so much for the shout out and I'm really glad you liked the show. It was wonderful meeting you and I'm sorry we didn't get more time to hang out a little and get some beers or something, but there's always next year!!