Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Minneapolis Light Rail

DJ and I went to the Twins game last night. We started the festivities with a happy hour (cheap beer and APPS!!) in the Warehouse District and took the light rail to the Metrodome. This is my first time on the light rail. I was a big supporter when it was proposed since I truly believe this city needs better forms of public transportation. In my utopia, I would live in a city where I wouldn't have to drive, and could take public transportation everywhere. But I do live here, where having a car is almost essential in order to get around in an efficient manner.

Anyway....A few observations from the ride:
  • It was very clean and CHEAP. It only cost us 50 cents one way to get to the dome.
  • I was surprised how slow it was. I am used to subways in NYC, which are pretty speedy. I know that light rail and subways are a bit different, but I did expect for it to move a bit quicker. I did find it somewhat amusing that there was an advertisement for Qwest High Speed internet on the side of one of the trains. As the train crept by it really didn't bring high speed internet to mind.
  • Minnesotans are weird. I get that I am a Minnesotan (and yes I am weird) but I typically like to get where I am going quickly. I don't fuck around. As we were leaving the dome last night we needed to cross to the other side of the tracks to catch the other train. As we pushed through the herd of people slooooowlly lining by the tracks I overheard some snide comments. Not to be mean, but come on people. You are just standing there...MOVE it. There is plenty of room for you to move over. Sorry for the rant but the passive agressiveness around here angers me at times.
Overall a good experience. I know they are planning on building out to the northwestern metro area, where all our urban sprawl seems to migrate. It will probably be a good thing.

No comments: